Friday, June 4, 2010

Henna and Memories

These are pictures from early May. One day we were sitting and talking in our living room and I heard our neighbors chatting outside, so Ellie and I went to talk with them. They were having henna ground so they could put it on their hands. Since we were down chatting with them and we were taking a trip to the capital the next day, they offered to put some on our hands. We said yes, not just because of the henna, but because it's also fun to have time doing something enjoyable with our neighbors. Sitting and chatting while putting henna on and waiting for it to dry is enjoyable.


Above is what the henna looked like while it was drying. Our landlady from upstairs offered to put some on Ellie's hand. I was a bit worried about if Ellie would be able to sit for the time needed to let it dry, or whether she'd rub it all over everything. She did pretty good.


The next day these were the results. (Sorry the above picture is a bit blurry.) The henna on skin lasted for Ellie just a few days. The henna on my skin lasted a couple weeks. The henna on my fingernails will last until my nails grow out. Last time I had henna on my nails it took a few months.


I was talking with my friend who grew up here in Asia. She pointed out to me that putting henna on is actually away to remember something. When women get married here, they put henna on. Then whenever they look at the henna, they can remember the wedding celebrations.
It got me to thinking... what will I remember when I look at my henna? It will remind me of the fun we had and have with our neighbors.


Ellie calls the mom who lives downstairs Aunty. The little boy she calls "Bhaiya" which means big brother, and she calls the girl "Apa" which means sister.


She calls our landlady who lives upstairs "Chachi" which means Aunt, and she LOVES her chachi.

Above is us with Ellie's Apa.

No comments: