Saturday, June 19, 2010

World Cup Fever

I have never really watched the World Cup. I regretfully admit that I didn't even know what it was until after I married Franklin. And even though I was married to Franklin during the last World Cup, I don't even remember watching any games with him.
Well, my lack of enthusiasm for the World Cup is a thing of the past! Partly because it's just wonderful, partly because the enthusiasm in this country for the World Cup is just contagious, because it's fun to watch games with Franklin, and partly because it takes the attention away from hot season. When the World Cup is over, we should be almost half way through monsoon season!
Whatever the reasons for enjoying the World Cup, I had no idea what was coming a month ago. Franklin and I were on the train coming from the capital, and we saw a bunch of blue and white flags on roofs. This was an entire month before even the first game was played! Since then, more and more flags have been popping up.
By far Brazil and Argentina have the most supporters in this country.

This building takes flag waving seriously.

And apparently one flag wasn't good enough to show how much these people love Argentina.

A flag for Spain adds a bit of variety to our "skyline".

Franklin took a trip out to a village the other day, and they have flags out there, too.


On our roof we have three flags waving.
Argentina.

Bangladesh. And Germany.
And that is only one apartment's flags. We haven't put any flags up. If we did, though, it would be for New Zealand. Our landlord hasn't put any flags up either, but they would put up a Brazil flag if they did.

If you aren't following the World Cup yet, I say join in the excitement. Next week eliminations start, so it's going to get even more exciting!!

No comments: