Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Donuts!

Last night I somehow got the motivation to make donuts. My friend and I had talked about it the day before, but we were just brainstorming things to possibly make in the future. One of my cookbooks had a pretty simple recipe, so I mixed all the ingredients together. It has yeast in it, so it has to rise and then you beat it down. After that the recipe said to roll it out and cut circles. Ha! Like I have a donut circle cutter! I just rolled it like Ellie and I make snakes with playdough and put it into loops. Then, because I remembered the advice another friend gave me after she had made donuts, I left them to sit on OILED trays. This dough is a bit sticky... and it's humid here, so the oil is essential.

You may think the next picture looks exactly like the one above, but don't be fooled! Because I feel it's necessary to share with you the joy of this process in great detail, I am also including a picture of the donuts after I let them rise.

Then I took those and I dropped them in the oil. I flipped them over after a few seconds.
These are my results. The darker ones got a bit burnt. I think I originally let the oil get too hot. When my sweet husband saw the donuts, he (thinking I was such a good cook that it would be impossible for me to burn something) asked if they were flavored ones. :) The ones on the right were done next, and they progressively got better. The bottom ones were done last. I call them "Lorina's Lovelies". (Because any food this yummy needs a special name.)
The recipe then called for me to cover them in icing or powdered sugar. I didn't have any of that, so I just used regular sugar. And, I only dipped "Lorina's Lovelies" in it. Franklin's not a big sugar fan, so I probably would have ruined his enjoyment of them if they all had sugar. Also, I didn't want to waste my sugar if the burnt ones were horrible.
So, my friends, that was my adventure into donut making. It was really not hard at all. I don't know why I thought it would be so difficult. And they are delicious!!! I not only leave this experience thinking, "I CAN do this again." I am thinking, "I WILL do this again."

And just a note for you health nuts out there... this recipe contains mashed potatoes... and potatoes are a vegetable... so consider "Lorina's Lovelies" the next time you are looking to sneak in a vegetable. :)

2 comments:

Cristina said...

Way to go! I'm very proud of you, and excited with you! I have made donuts once so far, but I have a pan that you bake them in so it was much easier than what you did. Very impressive I must say!

Charlotte and John said...

So impressive! Wow. "Lorina's Lovelies" look amazing. Hmm...another reason for us to come out and visit. The bad thing is now I have no excuse to make them! Once John knows you've made them in BD, surely I/we should be able to make them in North America!