Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cox's Bazaar

As promised, I know bring you the long awaited pictures from our trip to the beach. Cox's Bazaar, the world's longest natural beach, was just an hour's bus trip from where we were staying for our vacation, so we just took a day trip to see what it was all about.


I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. It could be because I had pretty low expectations, but I had a really nice time on the beach. I think I am just wired so that when I hear waves or feel the breeze from the sea, I relax. (Unless I am on a boat feeling those things, and then the waves and breeze results in the opposite of relaxation...sea sickness.)

Anyway, we hopped off the bus and headed straight to the beach. It was about 10:30 in the morning in the middle of monsoon season, so it wasn't too busy. Plus, we weren't near the resort hotels, so the beach was not busy.


We walked quite a ways. We weren't moving very quickly because we kept stopping to pick up shells and anytime the water came close to Ellie's feet she would run away from it. It was so pleasant!


After a while Ellie got tired of walking, so her daddy carried her.


Franklin took some time to show off his amazing rock skipping skills. (Did you know people can skip rocks on water with waves? I thought it was just on smooth surfaces... until I met my husband, the most awesome rock skipper in the world.)


We had lunch at one of the hotels in town, and then walked out to the tourist-y part of the beach on this beautiful boardwalk. You would call this a boardwalk, right? It's got boards and you walk on it...


So, if you don't mind a few beggars and some hawkers interrupting your time at the beach, grab one of these chairs.


We only stayed about 15 minutes at this part of the beach. I was getting sunburned and it was hot. Plus, we wanted to go to a Burmese market in another part of town before we headed back.

My thoughts.... I am glad it was a day trip. I don't think I would want to do a full vacation at Cox's Bazaar. However, next time I will prepare for us to actually swim there. Women don't wear swimsuits, they just wear their normal clothes, but I think it could still be lots of fun. I don't think I would want to hang out near the tourist-y area, I would be happy down the beach a few kilometers where there were less people.
Something we didn't do there, but we saw, was renting three wheelers. That would be fun... zipping up and down the beach.

So, that was our day at the beach. I would say that our favorite beaches are still the ones in the Solomons and on the Sunshine Coast in Australia.

1 comment:

suepsales said...

oh that looks like so much fun!!! all that sand AND the ocean :) i'm sure that the touristy beach would be packed but the solitude of the beach you were at looks splendid and inviting!! :)