Wednesday, May 26, 2010

O Happy Day!

I was at a meeting recently. One of the things that was talked about was how to love living in the country we are in. One of the things that was mentioned was living seasonally. In the States it seems like food is available all the time. I can go to the store and get apples, tomatoes, grapes, etc anytime. There are some seasonal foods, like watermelon and corn, but most stuff is available.
Here it is different. Food is very seasonal.... no longer are brocolli, carrots, tomatoes, or cauliflower available.... but lychee and mangoes are! That's where living seasonally comes in... I could sit around moping because those other things I like aren't available. Or, I could celebrate because these sweet treats are available....

I had never had lychee until I came here. They are only available for a few weeks in the month of May. You can buy a bundle of 100 for about $3. I just read on the wikipedia page that nine fruits has enough Vitamin C for an adult's daily needs. Let me tell you, we are doing good in the Vitamin C department!
In the Solomons at Franklin's mom's village, a similar-ish fruit is available... rambutan. I think I have seen this in a grocery store in the States. If you see it, buy it... it's good!
It's just the very beginning of mango season. The best type of mango will be available in 2 weeks we've been told. Until then, though, we can enjoy these ones. I think mangoes will be around until about August. Our favorite type of mango only lasts until July, though.

Living seasonally can probably apply to weather, too.... it's super, super HOT right now... I'll just tell myself it's seasonal. :)

No comments: