Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Homemade Abacus or Two


 We had a visitor who gave us a small package of wooden beads. I had seen somewhere on the Internet about making a homemade abacus, so I tried it. 


Ellie loved playing with it.... for like five seconds. Then she wanted to make her own. Apparently, mine wasn't good enough.


 So, we found a some more beads and a smaller box, and Ellie got to work.


Here's the abacus she made. 


Lest you be overwhelmed at the brilliance of my three year old, assuming that she is using the big abacus to count to 9,999 and the small abacus to 99, please be informed that the abacuses are more often used as musical instruments than for counting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good idea to make one. I've been thinking about buying an abacus, but why not make it. Thanks Miss. Crafty! I also like how serious Ellie is and her little outfit choice.
-C