Saturday, August 29, 2009

Lasagna...

These pictures are a few weeks old now, but I forgot to put them up last week... and I forgot to take a camera with a memory card to our homestay last week, so these are the pictures you get. Before we left the capital I made lasagna (with pasta that wasn't lasagna pasta)... I had to make the homemade cottage cheese and the pasta sauce, so it was quite a task, but super yummy. You can see below that Ellie was thrilled with my efforts.
If I had taken a camera with a memory card to our homestay this week, I would have posted pictures of a totally different type of food... Iftar food. It's the month for fasting here, and the fast is broken at sundown (about 7:30) each day. Everyone sits down with special food at that time... at our house we have been eating khichuri (fried rice), piyaji (fried onions and lentils), fried eggplant, dates, jelapi (fried sweet pretzel looking thing), fruit (banana, pineapple, apple), chola (hmmm, can't think of the english word right now)... and even before you chow down on that you drink a glass of a sweet drink... one day lemonade, one day a kool aid type thing, and one day tang... maybe I can get a picture of it for you this week. :)

2 comments:

Charlotte and John said...

I am SO impressed. Homemade cottage cheese? WOW! What a bideshi-food chef you are becoming over there.

suepsales said...

hmmmm. what a cook you are. i haven't made homemade lasagna in many years. Mrs. Stouffer's Frozen Lasagna is my friend :)