Sunday, September 2, 2012

Birthday Disaster

Birthday season is upon us in the Family Five Leaves household. We have three birthdays to celebrate in five weeks.

Franklin's birthday was August 24, and I wanted to surprise him with a nice cake, not just a ho-hum one like usual.

So, I made a separate small cake and cut the necessary numbers out... no problem here.



I made icing...


and turned it into some fun colors. Any guesses yet what design I was thinking of?


During a moment of distraction, Abraham decided he would like to be part of the fun. I did pause to take a picture during his moment of stunned silence after my booming, "Abraham, what are you doing?!" Earlier when I was mixing the cake and pouring it into the cake pans, when he decided to open the Tabasco Sauce (I didn't think 11 month olds were supposed to be able to open little lids like that.) and sample some, I did not pause to take a picture... but it happened.


And here is how the cake turned out.... um, I think the shelf in my oven was tilted. Grrr.


But, I cut off the smallest bit and it was the perfect shape for what I needed.


 A Solomon Islands' flag! Unfortunately, it was so hot in our apartment that the icing melted. I popped it into the fridge right after this shot and cleaned it up a bit later.

But.... the birthday boy was sick on his birthday, so when we were going to be with some friends to surprise Franklin, we weren't there. Poor, Franklin...

A few nights later, while he was still under the weather, our friends came over and Franklin slaved away making pizza for us. :) We watched a movie together and afterwards I kind of surprised him with a much less impressive cake. It would have been much more surprising if Ellie had not given so many hints throughout the day. :)


Happy Birthday, Franklin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clever flag cake. You are so creative!
-C